Saturday, April 7, 2012

Branding, Pictures, Headshots and self-awareness...

If you're not already aware of the whole #brickgate debacle, its probably best for your mental health if it stays that way.  Google it if you must, but i'm not linking on this one!  Partly because it was the final nail in the thing that made me install kittenblock so i never have to look at the stupid daily mail again, ever...

Probably.

But one question it raises, is the issue of personal branding.  You may or may not, depending on how much notice you've been taking, have noticed that none of the pictures on this blog are of me.  I think. But definitely not the profile images. While the other two blogs are about tech and anything else i feel like writing about, this one's all about fashion (sort of) so you'd think a bit of personification would be useful? Well yeah, maybe.  But as Madame Brick has found out, if you make the way you look an issue, it overshadows any other point that you might have to make.  Right now, i can write about fashion from any point of view, whether its 'gruddangit what are the young people wearing these days?!' to 'you just don't understand us and our music, squares!!'.

I could be sat at a desk in pristine chanel typing on a gleaming mac, or on a futon in my pjs with a netbook on my lap and it doesn't actually matter.  It's what i write that matters, not what i'm wearing when i write it. And it's working; i'm getting a few new media industry types adding themselves to my twitter followers.  This is good.  That's why i got twitter in the first place.

My twitter image is an old pic of my bike in urban bullet mode, taken at a train station.  I like it.  It's personal to me (i love my wheels man), it's modern, it's a bit gritty but it's also shiny and fast...  My blogger profile pic is just damn cool...  Both of those images say a lot more about my personal brand, who i am, what you're going to get if i write something for you, than a posed picture of me would.  Branding? Yeah, it's a thing. It's an issue but i choose to not make it an issue.  Mostly.  Certainly not here.  Unless i change my mind or it becomes useful later.  Branding has to be malleable too...

No comments:

Post a Comment