Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hair...

'I am not my hair' says lady gaga. Or possibly 'I am my hair', I don't know, as I'm writing this on my blackberry on a train, somewhere where the mobile internet doesn't penetrate... But yes, anyway, so.  Hair.  If clothes maketh the man, then hair maketh the woman.  Not that hair dothn't maketh the man as well, what's a sure sign that a metal band has decided they want to be taken seriously? Trip to the barbers for a short back 'n' sides, that's what..!

But yes, hair for women is such a statement in the first years of the 21st century.  And not even body hair (I'm not even going to start thinking about going there), just the stuff that grows out of your head takes enough babying to keep to an acceptable level of shiny bouncy groomedness... Nowadays it seems to be a crime against the eyeballs of others to be seen leaving the house with anything less than the full Cheryl Cole 'ware wooth ett!' beehive, extensions and multi-layered colour shining in the sun...

And is it me or is short hair for women suddenly a big deal again?  Whither this generation's Annie Lennox or Sinead O'Connor?  I have to admit, I have a vested interest in this one!  Generally, after way too much experimentation that I haven't grown out of yet, I find that either very long hair or very short hair suit me best.  Which is a conundrum, as I currently have very short hair.  I mostly like having short hair, especially as the multiple random things on my cv include having spent five years as a hairdresser, so I'm more than capable of reaching round the back of my head with a grade 3 and chopping the bejeebus out of the top with a pair of thinning scissors.  Add bleach or an inappropriate shade of red and Annie's your auntie.  And yup, I used to have flaxen (and before that raven and occasionally pink or purple) tresses that bounced and wrapped round my head in the wind. But its a bit of a health and safety issue if you spend your commute on a bike, so after a brief flirtation with a variety of bobs and shags (stop sniggering at the back), I found myself in the bathroom with the scissors and after a while, a choppily boysey crop.  Which I'm currently still sporting.

So far, so Kate Lanphear.  But I do still get the impression I'm letting the side down on occasion.  I watch these hyper groomed business woman or hot lady detective or  types on the telly and think well, maybe I should grow it again.  But I know that I'd have to cope with a middle period of probably a year of looking totally crap while it grew out.


So short it is, unless i can go and live on a desert island for a year.  With lots of conditioner, obviously...

No comments:

Post a Comment