Sunday, December 11, 2011

Obligatory Christmas Post...

Well, its 'the most wonderful time of the year' allegedly, so what else would i write about?  And its that time where usually relatively intellectual news papers' fashion columns are full of articles about what to wear to the office party or what to put in your fashion obsessed SO's stocking...

And hey i see a bandwagon, i may not jump on it but i'll maybe let it push the air for me until the traffic lights...

So ok, yes, the party season, woohoo!! As the fash mags are always telling us... Yeah well, i don't know about you, but i don't get invited to parties much, i've got my work christmas do, and i'm out with the collective at new year (our regular not-really-local-but-within-staggering-distance venue), and er, thats it..!

And wah, call me ms lonely knickers but on the day itself i'll be by myself with dr who and a quorn roast, so dress code isn't really an issue...

But yes, work do first,  so, the thing is, i spend a lot of effort not indulging my fashion whims at work.  Cos i work at a software company, with, not to put too much of a label on it: geeks.  And i don't mean that in a pejorative way!  They're mostly out and proud, except for the one or two in denial (yes, you! :P :D).  Being geeks, they're generally quite laid back about the way people look, the actual workday wear itself is totally casual, boardshorts and flip-flops are a standard sight in the summer time, usually paired with a t-shirt that makes a joke about star wars or something...

That would be the programmer boys, not me, by the way, thank you!  One has standards when one is customer facing, you know..!  Although my 'kill the process' t-shirt was one i quite liked...  But it shrunk...

Anyway, back to parties...

So while i could go all uberglam rock chick for the do, it would probably scare the doodahs out of some of them, and one or two others would be likely to get ideas and never look at me the same way again...!   And its a conundrum... Because i do get bored of reigning in my instincts all the time, but yeah.  What's the point of building up a professional persona and style and then blowing it all by turning up in pvc leggings? 

So i'm not going to do that... Classic LBD, statement shoes, and er, that's it really.  Bit dull, but we'll save the shiny and sequins for new year....

1 comment:

  1. Shiny can work! I am still uhming and ahing - bring in pics of dress choices and we will discuss.
    P.s. I don't know who you're calling a geek in denial. Obviously not me! ('cus I'm not one) :)

    ReplyDelete